29 December 2009

Year End Lists Continue

I always find it easier to pick my favourite movies than my favourite songs. So, while I try to come up with that list, here is my list of my favourite movies that came out this year.

10. Fast & Furious - just as horrible as the very first one, and that makes it awesome.

9. My Bloody Valentine - while the movie wasn't really great, it was the first one I saw in the new all 3D format. And it has Jensen Ackles - therefore, it has a special place in my heart.

8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - it had its faults (the entire way they dealt with the Harry/Ginny relationship) but on the whole, I liked it.

7. Whip It - I love roller derby!

6. Julie & Julia - Amy Adams, you've come a long way since your one episode of Buffy.

5. District 9 - Not at all what I expected. I normally avoid movies involving aliens, but this was such a huge social commentary, specifically related to apartheid, that we were talking about it for weeks after seeing it.

4. Up (3D) –I wasn’t actually that interested in watching this movie, but having nothing to do one afternoon I went with a group of friends. Not only did we all love it, pretty much everyone ended up close to tears at some point during the movie. And then there was Doug – I slept under your porch because I love you.

3. Pirate Radio – An amazing cast. The best soundtrack of the year. Ridiculously great costuming. I loved everything about this movie.

2. 500 Days of Summer – Quirky, funny, a little too self-knowingly hip, but completely endearing.

Star Trek – Everything about this movie was awesome. Everything!


Honorable Mention goes to New Moon. Mostly because it was so much better than I expected, and has an amazing soundtrack. I feel shame over how much I liked this movie. A lot of shame – specifically related to Taylor Lautner’s 16-year-old abs.

A personal highlight of the year was getting to finally see Nightmare Before Christmas on the big screen in 3D. I’ve been trying to see this for years, but good shit just never comes to Edmonton.

Movies that didn’t live up to my expectation – 9, Where the Wild Things Are, and Coraline.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

My movies list is coming and we have quite different lists! I haven't actually seen all the movies on your list yet...gotta get on that. You'll see that our tastes are pretty close as usual though.